Hello. May I ask you something?
The learner can ask for information.
Cards with sample questions, such as the opening line: Hello. May I ask you something?’.
Think about a subject for the interview, preferably related to a treated topic. Choose a neutral subject; politics and religion are to be avoided.
- Explain that the learners are about to interview a stranger.
- Make relevant questions, classically or in groups.
- Lower the threshold by asking what the learners need to do this exercise, e.g.
- Do you prefer to work alone or with in pairs, in trios? What to do if you did not understand the answer?
What if the interviewee speaks too fast?
- Send the learners on their mission and tell them when to be back.
- Discuss the interviews together afterwards.
- Let them comment on the answers they got and on how it felt to interview an stranger.
- Filming the exercise makes it more exciting and difficult.
Attention: Ask both parties for permission.
Tips for the instructor
Addressing strangers on the street is difficult. Look for a safe environment, e.g. a community centre, language school…
Read more about these topics in our manual by clicking on the button.