Letters Relay Race
The learner can consolidate new vocabulary.
- Two flip charts or boards.
- Something to mark a starting line.
Write the alphabet in ascending order (A to Z) on the flip charts/boards.
- Divide the group into two teams.
- Draw a starting line. Each team stands in a row at the starting line.
- The aim of the exercise is to write a word next to every letter of the alphabet, starting with this letter.
- Each team sends a learner to write a word, respecting the order of the alphabet. The words may be chosen by the learner
running or by the team.
- The exercise ends once a team has completed the alphabet. This team receives three points.
- Check the spelling of each word. For every correct word, the teams get a point.
- You can check the spelling during the game. In this case, the teams can only move to the next letter if the word is spelled
correctly. Let the learner correct the spelling.
- You can restrict the vocabulary related to a treated topic.
- You can make the exercise more difficult by putting obstacles between the starting line and the flip charts or boards.
- Wipe off the words, let the learners write down in pairs as many words as they remember. The words must be spelled correctly.
Tips for the instructor
Make sure every learner gets a turn.
Read more about these topics in our manual by clicking on the button.