The learner can understand and work with the concept of syllables.
- Small pieces of paper
- Hat / Box
- Ask the learners to write or draw a word.
- Collect the pieces of paper.
- Read each of the words aloud while clapping for each syllable.
- Let the learners repeat the word and the clapping.
- Put the papers in a box or a hat.
- Let a learner pick a word out and clap its rhythm without saying it.
- Let the other learners guess the word. For example: a learner takes the word animal and claps three times.
- Go on until all words have been picked out.
- Repeat all the words in rhythm.
Do a second round marking the rhythm in a different way, e.g., stamping with the feet, snapping the fingers, making noises.
Tips for the instructor
- In bigger groups, make sure not all learners choose a word with the same amount of syllables, e.g. by giving a card with a number or telling them individually.
- Beginners: Let the learners make sentence with the words.
- Advanced: Let the learners make a story with the words.
Read more about these topics in our manual by clicking on the button.